Re: [squid-users] mod_gzip for squid ?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:35:46 -0500

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 01:38 pm, you wrote:
> I'm running a website, where I use squid to sit infront of apache and
> serve static files (.html .js .gif .png .jpg), but I really would it to
> serve my .php files as well, just WITHOUT caching them
>
> Another goal is to let squid gzip the html, since I have squid on
> another machine, where cputime is not an issue.
>
> Is it complete nonsene and should I reread the squid manual or have
> anyone setup a scenario like the above and found it usefull ?

This is quite reasonable from both a design and technical standpoint.
Generally tier 2 should handle application logic and tier 1 should handle
transmission logic. Also, it's usually easier to add tier 1 servers, so
you should push as much as possible onto them.

Robert Collins was working on the proxy counterpart of this (Transfer
Encoding), but I haven't seen anything from it in months. Maybe we could
wave a little green under his nose. Squid is primarily a proxy, with some
rev-proxy function built in, so I don't see Content Encoding happening for
quite awhile.

        -- Brian