Re: [squid-users] Windows Update Problem

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:41:31 +0100

>Hi,

>We are running Squid 2.4 Stable 4. We plan to put the server into production
>as soon as we solve this weird issue.

>Every time we set a browser to use the cache, we cannot successfully
>complete a Windows Update update of files for Windows.

>We click on Windows Update, the browser searches for updates available for
>the machine, lists the updates, when we click on DOWNLOAD the download
>window opens up... waits there for a few seconds, then suddenly all the
>download meter bar goes all the way indicating that the download is ready
>but the installation fails for all updates.

>If we do NOT use the cache, it works fine.

>I have tried everything except obviously the right solution..... :-)))

>Can anyone point me into the right direction?

>Many thanks in advance.

>Chris

 Problems like these have been reported in the past.
 What probably happens , I think , is this :

 These download files for Windows Update exec (..) are very
 big.
 Some squid configurations may have a cache size spec. which
 is smaller than the size these files.

 I think the behavior, of SQUID, in this case is undefined,
 leading to the problems you may experience.
 Perhaps SQUID could test this condition and disallow a SWAP
 to cache for such a very very big file.

 M.E.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM