Re: [squid-users] Antivirus

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:08:39 +0000

29-Mar-02 at 10:24, Mikael Chambon (squid-ml@cronos.org) wrote :
> Hi,
>
> I am quite new to squid and I am looking for a robust solution for http
> anvirus
> scanning with squid.
>
> Someone told me that Viralator was good (http://viralator.loddington.com/).
> Is there any other solutions, is it the best one ?

You are sure to take a big performance hit if you scan http traffic
through an anti virus system.

If you are going to do it, I would recommend a separate server upstream to
filter http inline... depends on how many users you have of course.

There are lots of anti virus solutions for http traffic, I know that Trend
Micro also have a product (InterScan Virus Wall) which can scan SMTP, FTP
and HTTP inline and transparently.

Trend themselves warn against scanning HTTP because of the high overhead,
however if you need the fullest virus security then you may be considering
it.

I am not affiliated with Trend. Other better solutions may exist. Just my
2 pence worth.

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:59.84% see www.mersenne.org]
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build