Re: [squid-users] How to Use Squid Without Browser Config?

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:58:34 +0200

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 09:38, AFShin Abdollahi wrote:

> I've installed squid 2.3Stable5 on Windows 2000 as a service.
> I've Configured it (I think!) as a Transparent Cache,It all works
> fine when the Client types the address of the Squid Machine in the
> Browser, But I want:
> That Client doesn't need to Enter the Browser Configuration.
> to be more clear,I want when dial-up users connect to my ISP
> whitout any configuration on their browser,They can use the
> Cache.

To my knowledge the needed OS tools for intercepting port 80 cannot
be found for Windows.

You might be able to use WPAD however. This way many browsers
automatically discover the proxy.

> I can also Checked it on a Redhat Linux 7.2 with Squid2.4
> Stable1.

See the Squid FAQ and it's linked document on how to set up
transparent proxying using Linux.

Your source of advanced web reverse proxying solutions
http://www.marasystems.com/producs/