Re: [squid-users] regarding SEARCH method testing

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:19:50 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Jigar Rasalawala wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> I am running Squid 2.4.STABLE4 on RedHat 7.1. I configured squid as proxy
> for SEARCH method.
> How can i test whether it works or not ??? ( Without installing
> MS-EXchange ) I installed IIS 5.0
> and created WEB folder. I am able to access web folder using squid proxy. In
> packet trace I am not able to see
> SEARCH method. Infact Browser is not sending search request to IIS.
>
> how can I test SEARCH method via Proxy ? Any hint or help appriciated..

Do you know what the browser sends in a SEARCH request? For example, when
you type "http://www.squid-cache.org" into your browser it

a) connects to the proxy, eg port 3128
b) says amongst other things, something like:

        GET http://www.squid-cache.org HTTP/1.0
        <nl>
        <nl>
where "<nl>" stands for \n or newline. Actually it probably sends a cr-lf.

To test a proxy or web server you can use telnet. Eg for a proxy on port
3128, you can

        telnet proxy 3128
        GET http://www.squid-cache.org HTTP/1.0
        <nl>
        <nl>

and you should het an HTTP header back followed by the web page data.

So, if you know who the "SEARCH is used you can do the same, replacing the
"GET" with "SEARCH".

Colin