[squid-users] [Squid-Users] Specifications for HW per no of users

From: Gareth La Grange <gareth@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:51:51 +0200

Good Afternoon,

I have looked for an answer for this, but can not seem to get the
information that I am looking for. Websites and User forums do not seem to
help. I am looking for what would be the recommended hardware requirements /
specifications for a server running squid, nothing else, per amount of
users. I noticed that a lot of sites said throw plenty of physical memory
and stuff, but apart from that, not much is said on the subject.
So, if any of you have the time, please could you give me your advice on the
subject.

What I am looking for is the following:

For 1k users, 4k users and 8k users, please could you give me your advice on
the following.

CPU Speed and number:
Amount of physical memory:
Swap file size according to memory:
Cache dir setup. I.e., on a 40Gig drive, would you recommend 2 cache dir's
or one:
What FS would you run on the cache dir:
Any other things your can think of :-)

Kind Regards
Gareth La Grange
RHCE
Certificate Number: 807200441204384
For: Comparex Africa (Pty) Ltd
Company Registration Number 1993/003683/07
Tel: +27 (0)11 978 9364
Fax +27 (0)11 978 1089
e-mail: gareth@ipnoc.co.za

NOTICE: This message and any attachments are confidential and intended
solely for the addressee. If you have received this message in error,
please notify Gareth La Grange at Comparex Africa (Pty) Ltd immediately,
telephone number +27 (0) 11 978 9364. Any unauthorised use, alteration or
dissemination is prohibited. Comparex Africa (Pty) Ltd accepts no liability
whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct, indirect or consequential,
arising from information made available and actions resulting there from.