Re: [squid-users] Decaching squid servers against an ip pool.

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:40:16 +0200

On Monday 13 May 2002 21:52, Techie Tychie wrote:

> Now i have got 2 approaches to resolve this issue :
> A) apply IP-Chain rules on the squid servers in which
> the source is ANY and the destination is mentioned as
> the pool for the collocating servers and the action
> is to redirect the request directly to the said
> servers so that the request is not fed through the
> squid-cache server.

If you are running a transparent proxy this is strongly recommended
as there is no use in redirecting your users to a proxy who won't add
any value, only latency (worse performance).

> B) apply the no_cache directive in squid.conf file
> along with the refresh_pattern directive for the said
> pool of ip addresses.Can this be done ? I have read
> before that ONLLY URL based approach can be adopted
> when defining the no_cache directive.
> Query:
> What can be the right step by step approach.

The support for DNS lookups in no_cache varies with the Squid
releases. Some earlier versions was unreliable if no_cache was used
with ACL types that may require DNS or other external lookups. This
is not the case in Squid-2.4 or later. In Squid-2.4 no_cache can
safely be used with ACL's requiring DNS lookups.

In Squid-2.5 no_cache also applies to already cached content,
oblivating the need of using refresh_pattern when the content must
not be cached.

Your source of advanced web reverse proxying solutions
http://www.marasystems.com/products/