[squid-users] resolving local websites

From: Rohit Peyyeti <rohit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:08:23 +0530

Hello All:

I have couple of Redhat Linux servers. On one of the server I am running
"squid-2.4.STABLE1"
version. I am able to access external websites such as www.google.com etc
successfully. I have
configured browser proxy for that to work.

I have couple of websites running locally which is for the internal use.
Their naming
conventions are usually "example-dev" etc. Usually these resolutions are
handled by WINS server
in which I create entry. But now after enabling SQUID, it gives me this
error:

---------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://example-dev/
The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for example-dev
The dnsserver returned:
Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
This means that:
 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

Generated Tue, 14 May 2002 07:21:29 GMT by localhost.localdomain
(Squid/2.4.STABLE1)

Any idea on how to get rid of this problem? Is there any way I can bypass
SQUID for internal
websites? I also tried this which does not work:

acl internal dst 10.0.0.0/8
always_direct allow internal

Regards,
Rohit Peyyeti