Re: [squid-users] resolving local websites

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:13:39 +0200

Rohit Peyyeti wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I have couple of Redhat Linux servers. On one of the server I am running
> "squid-2.4.STABLE1"
> version. I am able to access external websites such as www.google.com etc
> successfully. I have
> configured browser proxy for that to work.
>
> I have couple of websites running locally which is for the internal use.
> Their naming
> conventions are usually "example-dev" etc. Usually these resolutions are
> handled by WINS server
> in which I create entry. But now after enabling SQUID, it gives me this
> error:

> ---------------
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://example-dev/
> The following error was encountered:
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for example-dev
> The dnsserver returned:
> Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
> This means that:
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
> Check if the address is correct.
>
> Your cache administrator is webmaster.
>
> Generated Tue, 14 May 2002 07:21:29 GMT by localhost.localdomain
> (Squid/2.4.STABLE1)
> ----------------
>
> Any idea on how to get rid of this problem? Is there any way I can bypass
> SQUID for internal
> websites? I also tried this which does not work:
>
> acl internal dst 10.0.0.0/8
> always_direct allow internal

 Note that SQUID , in fact, does not make any distinction between
 internal or external sites.
 However, SQUID uses standard DNS ip resolving , for lookup up website
 (ip) addresses.

 SQUID doesn't know anything about WINS.

 You either have to make these internal hosts known somehow to SQUID
 in the DNS-search-path the SQUID box is using.

 Or you can , for instance, use a proxy configuration in the browser,
 so that these hosts are accessed directly.

 "always_direct..." , does not apply to your situation, the directive
 handles situations concerning SQUID being used in cache hierarchies.
 Even, then, the internal
 hosts would have to be 'DNS resolvable', for your SQUID box.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM