Re: [squid-users] equal bandwidth

From: Alexander Dudko <octo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:05:09 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom)" <hno@marasystems.com>
To: <ibaba@lycos.com>; <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] equal bandwidth

> On Monday 13 May 2002 21:27, Alexander Dudko wrote:
>
> > But what is about TCP window size? Why it is likely? Could you
> > explain or give some links?
>
> When you use very small pool sizes, the impact of the pre-buffering
> effect of the TCP window can become quite significant.
>
> delay_pools control how fast Squid will read data from the network,
> the TCP window control how much data the kernel will buffer for Squid
> to read.

What's your idea of the appropriate TCP window in this case (128 Kbit per
second)?

> > Any I don't understand: "The least available amount of both pool
> > limits apply". If I have following configuration, for example:
> > delay_pools 1
> > delay_class 1 2
> > delay_access 1 allow allowed_hosts
> > delay_access 1 deny all
> > delay_parametrs 1 16000/16000 400/400
> >
> > And there are 40 users in our network. But now 20 of them is
> > absent. In this case, how many byte per second does each present
> > user have, in reality? Can squid automatically increase the
> > bandwidth of each present user in order to fill all 16000 bytes of
> > incoming traffic?
>
> No, each user will be allocated the least of the two available
> amounts. No user will ever be allocated more than 400, and if all
> your users compete for more than 16000 then each user will be
> allocated less than 400.

Understood.
So, in this case, when, for example, 20 users have their 400 (in total 8000)
 but whole bandwidth is 16000,
is there any ability to exceed their limits and give them all 16000?
But at the same time, if all 40 "allowed_hosts" use squid then no one takes
more than 400.
In other words, I try to divide all traffic equally between all connected
clients hosts dynamically. If 10 computers are switched on then the
bandwidth of each hosts is 16000 / 10 = 1600. But If 40 computers are
switched on then the bandwidth of each hosts is 16000 / 40 = 400.
Can squid-2.4.STABLE6 make it?
And if yes, could You write example of configuration.

            Regards,
                                            Alexander Dudko.