Re: [squid-users] Squid won't restart

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 01:04:29 +0200

On Monday 27 May 2002 12:16, Joe Cooper wrote:

> By default Squid listens on port 3128 for client connections.
> Outgoing connections will usually be on port 80. If using Squid to
> proxy for FTP and HTTPS you will also have outgoing requests on 20
> and 21 and 443. Some other ports come up as well, like 8080 and
> 8000, for standard http traffic.
>
> Return traffic back to Squid from origin servers will be on
> ephemeral or user ports, above port 1024.
>
> I think that covers it...Henrik, am I missing anything?

FTP data ports, Gopher, plenty of odd non-standard ports used for
HTTP (defenitely a few more than "some other ports"), etc...

To make a long story short, when forwarding requests for
http/ftp/gopher URL's, Squid will use the same kinds of ports as if
you were running a http/ftp/gopher client on the Squid server machine
itself.. so any ports you would need to allow a client running a
browser to access if not using a proxy you will need to allow the
Squid server to access.

Your source of advanced web reverse proxying solutions
http://www.marasystems.com/products/