Re: [squid-users] tuning cache and refresh

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 01:43:36 +0200

On Monday 27 May 2002 16:17, proxyadmin wrote:
> I have two questions
> 1°) to have relation beetwen two squid for cache , i add the line :
> cache_peer squid_parent parent 3128 3130
> and never_direct allow all
>
> in the squid.conf of the squid that are the children
> and nothing in the squid.conf of the squid_parent
>
> But my purpose is not using the parent_cache indefinitely , but the
> first time and for the following requests on the same url i want to
> use the children cache ( which are closer to considered clients ) .

The above do not stop your Squid from caching the reply, it only
forces your Squid to use the parent instead of going direcly to the
requested server.

> 2°) When the server which are behind the parent_cache are updated ,
> i want to propagate the update on my differents caches quickly ( i
> think that the parameter to activate is the refresh_pattern ) .

refresh_pattern is your friend here if you want to tune how quickly
Squid automatically detects the change.

If you need more immediate updates then you will need to push the
changes out to the caches. There are three methods in doing so

  a) A forced reload of the object via the cache (Pragma: no-cache)

  b) A forced expire of the object from the cache (PURGE), causing a
new copy to be fetched on the next request

  c) Push caching, see http://devel.squid-cache.org/

Your source of advanced web reverse proxying solutions
http://www.marasystems.com/products/