Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy / Accelerator Mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:58:54 +0200

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 05:20, Geffrey Velásquez wrote:
> Thanks Henrik. Please friends, I need more help...
>
> I was reading the user guide and saw something like this:
> http_port 80
> -> but could I have in transparent/acelerator proxy:
> -> http_port 80 8080

Yes, by specifying http_port twice.

> I'm redirecting with iptables connections destinated to port 80 to
> port 8080 on the same machine:
> iptables -A PREROUTING -i $INTERNAL_IF -p tcp --dport 80 -j
> REDIRECT --to-port 8080
> With this all internal machines are working good with the
> transparent proxy... but.. now I ... want to redirect all request
> destinated to the external IP web server to squid, could I continue
> redirecting to port 8080? and squid will open a connection to the
> web server?...

You can use the same port if you like, or a second one. Squid does not
care.

> Also.. I found this ACL in user guide
>
> acl acceleratedHost dst 10.0.0.5
> acl acceleratedPort 80
> http_access allow acceleratedHost acceleratedPort
>
> Squid uses hosts and dns to resolv domain names ... how squid knows
> which server 10.0.0.5 is?

Well.. you obviously must know the IP addresses of the servers you are
attempting to accelerate, and configure the Squid server to know
about these.

When you set up an combined accelerator and proxy you must be very
careful to not allow the world to reach other servers than the
accelerated servers.