Re: [squid-users] Do not cache my .pdf

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:27:05 -0500

Robert Adkins wrote:
> Juan,
>
> I am unsure if that is even possible. Squid's very nature is to cache
> files that are requested through it. I believe that the only files that
> it will not cache is SSL data.

This is incorrect. Squid caches what is cacheable. Many things other
than SSL data are not considered cacheable.

There are so many ways in so many places to choose not to have the
object cached, that I'm not even going to attempt to explain all of
them. The question should be narrowed down a bit if you'd like a more
detailed answer.

Some options to get you started:

In Squid, you can use no_cache and an ACL matching your PDF to never
cache the object.

In Apache you can use mod_expires to specify how long you'd like the
object to be cacheable (or not at all). You can also append a
'Cache-Control: no-cache' header to the object in the webserver as well.
  This will prevent most or all browsers from caching it as well, I believe.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.