Re: [squid-users] New Windows Update

From: Shawn Barnhart <swb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:11:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Cooper" <joe@swelltech.com>
To: "Michael Watts" <Michael.Watts@corporate.wesfarmers.com.au>
Cc: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 10:24
Subject: Re: [squid-users] New Windows Update

> Just in case no one else has replied: Upgrade to 2.4STABLE6, and then
> tell us whether Windows Update has a problem. It isn't feasible for
> volunteer support mechanisms to handle requests regarding old Squid
> versions (2.2STABLE5 has been unsupported by anyone for over a year).
> None of us are running 2.2STABLE5, so we can't reasonably test your
> problems.

I'm running 2.4Stable6 and while Windows Update seems to work reliably, it
does appear to "hang" on the "0%" screen as it checks for available updates.
It will eventually find the updates available and continue on with normal
functionality, but it often takes well over 5 minutes.

Spot checks of non-cached machines show a near-instantaneous load of
available updates.

> I haven't heard any complaints from my ISP clients yet regarding
> Microsoft Update, so I'm guessing there are no problems in 2.4STABLE6
> (or at the very least, the additional methods we list in our
> configuration files cover whatever additional methods are needed to make
> it work).

Care to list your other methods? It'd be nice to have it work fast,
especially considering its the more practical way to get incremental updates
for most Windows versions.