Re: [squid-users] idnsCheckQueue: ID 5747: giving up after 17 tries

From: Wei Keong <chooweikeong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:43:50 +0800

Hi Borsenkow,

Just to share with you... A few days ago, my squid box's cache.log was
filled with idnsCheckQueue error (a few every seconds). Users complained
that surfing was slow and access to some secure sites was intermittent.

After much troubleshooting, we found out that the internal dnsserver was
extremely slow in querying & getting response. We changed squid to use
external dnsserver and everything was back to normal.

Having some idnsCheckQueue once in a while is fine... could be some joker's
infected PC trying to scan certain unavailable sites or some users
mistakenly enter wrong urls. But, if the cache log is full of this error,
and users complaining slow surfing, better do some check on your dns server
health, the physical cable and lastly the squid internal dnsserver.

Henrik, have you encountered error in squid internal dnsserver before? Have
any idea what could have triggled this problem?

Rgds,
Wei Keong