Re: [squid-users] idnsCheckQueue: ID 5747: giving up after 17 tries

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:47:49 +0200

Wei Keong wrote:

> After much troubleshooting, we found out that the internal dnsserver was
> extremely slow in querying & getting response. We changed squid to use
> external dnsserver and everything was back to normal.
>
> But, if the cache log is full of this error,
> and users complaining slow surfing, better do some check on your dns server
> health, the physical cable and lastly the squid internal dnsserver.
>
> Henrik, have you encountered error in squid internal dnsserver before? Have
> any idea what could have triggled this problem?

We have had some problems in the past with certain DNS servers, but I
think all those problems are gone now.

One thing to consider is that the internal DNS client behaves a little
different from the system DNS resolver. The biggest difference is
perhaps that queries are distributed on all your configured DNS servers,
not only the first.

Did you make any changes to your DNS infrastructure when the problem
started?