Re: [squid-users] Binding squid to many address in a multihomed environment

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:18:09 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Zeus wrote:

> I mean that if I setup my browser to connect to the IP 1.2.3.4.3 port 3128
> or 1.2.3.4 port 3128 .as an example
> When i check the proxy connection I allways see one IP (the first IP on the
> server)
> As an example i have
> eth0 64.145.34.2
> eth0:0 64.145.34.3
> eth0:1 64.145.34.4
> eth0:2 64.145.34.5
> eth0:3 64.145.34.6
> I setup my browser to connect to 64.145.34.5 3128 and chech the connection
> whit a proxy checker script and then i have allways an IP= 64.145.34.2
> instead the real IP 64.145.34.5
> Its clear now what i mean ???

When the OS selects sends packets out, it uses the IP address of the
interface chosen by the routing algorithm as the source address for those
packets. If you have multiple IP addresses all on the same subnet, as you
do, the one bound to the physical interface (in your case, eth0) will be
used.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell