Re: [squid-users] here's a good one.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:10:09 +0200

On Saturday 29 June 2002 06.26, BCarlson@hoodpackaging.com wrote:

> Our main stumbling block is this. Can squid be configured to force
> NT authentication, so that only users in a certain user-group can
> access the web, or must each user have an account on the Linux
> server? Thanks in advance for any help.

Squid can integrate with mostly any password database, certainly
Windows NT. See the Squid FAQ, there is a fairly detailed section
explaining how it works.

The upcoming Squid-2.5 Squid release can also integrate with Microsoft
NTLM, allowing you to hide the login procedure from local users using
the MS IE browser while logged on to the domain.

For security reasons it strongly discouraged to use local UNIX user
accounts on the server unless your users absolutely must log on onto
your Linux server to perform other tasks. There is no reason why the
users should be given these privileges only to browse.. Squid
certainly do not need the user to exists locally in order to be able
to authenticate him.

Regards
Henrik Nordström