[squid-users] Strange IE ncsa_auth occurrnece

From: Dan Cave <dan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:47:47 +0100

Hi

I have Dans Guardian and squid configured (RH 7.1/Squid 2.4stable5) and Latest DG. I also have the nsca auth modules compiled and installed working just nicely.

BUT, the most strangest thing happend a couple of weeks ago and my colleague and I are most bemused by it. Here's the scenario.

3 pcs all sharing a DSL connection using Win2k ICS. All win2k machines all the same IE 5.5 browser, same OS patches etc..

The 3 pcs are all setup to use out external proxy at a remotely hosted site via nsca auth (username/passwd)

the two clients authenticate fine, no problems etc. but the machine with the dsl connection refuses to use the external proxy host despite the proxy settings in IE5.5 (use proxy server on port 8080), the browser gets the websites but doesn't use the proxy server it's been told to use.

However, we downloaded netscape and Opera and configured the browsers to use the proxy and the machine connected using Opera & netscape (4.79) and it worked again like a treat. Odd eh?

When we set this PC to NOT use the proxyserver in IE it gets contect from the internet without a proble. We have also seen exactly the same behaviour when connected via our dialup ISP connections to the inernet when on customer sites.

I setup a tcpdump session on the squid proxy server to find out whether the remote connection from the win2k/dsl host was hitting the cache and it was not. I know that our dsl provider is not using transparent caching because authenication worked when we used opera/netscape on that host.. so, what is going on?

All help & suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dan Cave