Re: [squid-users] Question about host header,redirects, and virtual hosts

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:04:18 +0200

Stefan M. Ritter wrote:

> If I use
>
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
> and put my domains in the hosts file, what do I then need the directive
>
> httpd_accel_host your.primary.domain
>
> for?

For the same reason that you need a default web site when setting up a web
server. This is the domain users get if their browser do not indicate which
domain they are requesting.

> Since the entries in the hosts file are used (due to the first
> directive), it is possible to use
> a complete different server than given by ' httpd_accel_host', isn't it?
> (Simply by the entries in the
> hosts file)

Yes, unless you use "httpd_accel_single_host on".. See below.

> httpd_accel_uses_host_header off
> httpd_accel_host your.primary.domain
> redirect_rewrites_host_header on
>
> shouldn't now the client requests go to server your.primary.domain, using
> different host headers in these request, so that still virtual webservers
> could be used (if the webserver is configured to use the host-headers)?

No. Squid will then think all your users requested "your.primary.domain",
irregardless of what the client indicates in the host header.

> Or is 'redirect_rewrites_host_header on' only used if I have a dedicated
> redirect script?

See below.

> Sorry for all these questions, but I still do not understand this stuff
> completely.

httpd_accel_host & httpd_accel_uses_host_header controls how Squid
reconstructs the hostname part of the URL on reverse-proxied requests.

If you use "httpd_accel_single_host on", then httpd_accel_host also controls
where reverse-proxied requests are forwarded. If not, the requests will be
forwarded according to the hostname in the reconstructed URL.

"redirect_rewrites_host_header" controls what happens with the Host: header in
your requests when using a redirector. The default is "on" to ensure that the
Host header sent to your servers matches the URL Squid is caching the
response on. Squid caches the response based on the URL after redirection
(this to support redirection to local mirrors etc in proxies).

If you are not using a redirector helper then the setting
redirect_rewrites_host_header does not matter.

"redirect_rewrites_host_header off" is only intended to be used if you are
using a dedicated redirect script for reverse proxying and know the gotchas
of redirection and caching..