[squid-users] Re: What hardware should

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 05:55:36 +0200

On Saturday 13 July 2002 13.50, maillist151@sohu.com wrote:

> I want all the traffic to be cached. (Not a part of them.)

Squid can only cache traffic that can be proxied by Squid. This is
mainly HTTP.

FTP (and Gopher) can also be proxy-cached by Squid, but only if using
a web browser configured to use Squid as a proxy for FTP. If the user
is using a normal FTP program then Squid cannot act as a proxy for
the FTP session (for this you need a FTP proxy).

Usually, and especially in a university environment, there is a whole
lot of other Internet traffic than HTTP...

> > What is the expected bandwidth that will be proxied by Squid?
>
> If the bandwidth will be increased by 10%, I will be satisfied with
> Squid. What about your opinion? I just want to have a normal
> configuration that user will feel that the network is faster when
> using Squid. I will not ask too much for Squid. :-)

The bandwidth savings depends a lot on what kind of traffic you
actually have and how much of this traffic that can be changed to be
proxied by Squid.

Of the traffic that can be proxied by Squid, a bandwidth saving of
about 20% is not at all unrealistic, but to know how this relates to
your total bandwidth you first need to know how much of your traffic
can be proxied by Squid.

> Another question, what means "bursty usage" in your reply?

That you link is not used equal the whole time. Was trying to estimate
the average bandwidth usage over a 24 hour period.

> What means "ca" in your reply? Can you give me a simple
> explanation?

Circa / About / Aproximately.