[squid-users] Transparent proxy to a remote box

From: Ethy H. Brito <ethy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:30:44 -0300

Dear Users

I am trying to setup a transparent squid proxy with iptables in kernel
2.4.18. I followed the lines in
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy-6.html
(Transparent Proxy to a Remote Box) (I also set the httpd_accel
parameters) but I got a 503 error when I try
lynx http://www.phonet.com.br/lynks.html for example.

I can read the main (index.htm) page but any other link inside the
server gives me a 503 Service Unavailable error with the squid page
bellow:

------------------------ SNIP ------------------------------------

   While trying to retrieve the URL:
   http://www.phonet.com.br/lynks.htm

   The following error was encountered:

     Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.phonet.com.br

   The dnsserver returned:

     Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

   This means that:
 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.

If the domain name does not exist, how could squid find the home page
afterall?
What am I doing wrong?

Ethy H. Brito         /"\
InterNexo Ltda.       \ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
+55 (12) 3941-6860     X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
S.J.Campos - Brasil   / \