Re: [squid-users] SQUID 2.4STABLE 6 and 7 strange CPU usage

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:41:56 -0500

Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
> On Friday 26 July 2002 02:14, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
>

>>Take this out. Try again. Tell us how it goes.
>
> I took this out, the unusual CPU usage is gone :) Hmm, but why this wasn't
> with STABLE4 ?!

I don't know. As far as I know --enable-time-hack has been broken on
most or all OS versions for years, possibly since its introduction.
Perhaps you didn't compile STABLE4 with this option enabled?

> I've also did a strace -p<PIDofSQUID>. Here is the output of squid without the
> mentioned behaviour. This is updated every second. With my configure options
> and the unusual CPU usage this was updated hundrets of times per second!!!!

Yes. The time-hack is known to be broken, and it is known to eat CPU
quite voraciously. What isn't known (by me, anyway) is why it remains a
part of Squid, and whether anyone makes successful use of it.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.