[squid-users] Can't get apache to set Expire headers

From: Emilia Sherifova <emilia@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:29:01 -0400

I would like to set up squid in an accelerator mode. I set it up alright
but it would not cache any of the files. When I looked closer at the files,
I realized that the expire headers are not set. I made sure to install
mod_expires in apache (when I do httpd -l, I can see mod_expires.c as
installed). I also changed the .htaccess file to have the following:
### activate mod_expires
ExpiresActive On
### Expire .gif's 1 month from when they're accessed
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
### Expire everything else 1 day from when it's last modified
### (this uses the Alternative syntax)
ExpiresDefault "modification plus 1 day"

Yet, no expire header gets set. Here is what I get when I telnet to the
website and request an image file:

GET /images/logo.gif HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.0 200 OK