Re: [squid-users] Reject hostname

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:50:32 +0200

On Monday 02 September 2002 10.26, Pierre-Henri Delaval wrote:

> I then configure their IE to use the proxy.
>
> But I would allow them to use the proxy for only for the intranet
> servers, then I would like that their IE access directly others
> servers without using the proxy. To avoid not necessary traffic on
> my intranet-internet connection.

This is a browser configuration issue. Squid cannot tell the browser
what servers the browser should use Squid for. But see below if your
environment is a bit complex.

Alternatively you can set up Squid as an accelerator infront of these
firewalled Intranet services, making your internal DNS point to Squid
for these Intranet services, and tell Squid the real IP addresses of
your Intranet servers.

> And of course it is in charge of squid to refuse theses
> connections.

Refuse connections you can do. Simply deny them in http_access. Make
the browser automatically bypass Squid if refused you can not do. For
this the browser must be told not to use Squid for the server in
question via the browser configuration.

For complex proxy/noproxy/otherproxy situations it is recommended to
use a PAC script to configure the browser. This gives full freedom in
proxy selection.