Re: [squid-users] interface between squid and external DNSSERVER

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:33:40 +0200

It is a very simple request->response based interface, only having one
query at a time per dnsserver process..

Anything received which is a IP address is assumed to be a request for a
reverse lookup from IP, else it is assumed to be a forward lookup based
on the hostname. Result is one of

The lookup failed
  "$fail <a descriptive error message>"

Result of a reverse lookup
  "$name <ttl> <hostname>"

Result of a normal lookup
  "$addr <ttl> <ip1> <ip2>..."

There is also a couple of magic "commands"
  $hello, results in $alive being returned
  $shutdown, tells the helper to exit cleanly

As you can see the protocol does only support one query at a time, so
replacing dnsserver by a multithreaded one won't do much good as Squid
can only send one query at a time to each helper..

The internal DNS client does not share these limitations in concurrency,
and can manage a "unlimited" amount of concurrent DNS lookups.