Re: [squid-users] increase child process

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:21:39 -0500

That has nothing to do with the number of child processes. When asking
questions, it is usually best not to assume you already know the answer.
Squid does not "hold" a request until other requests are finished. It
is a non-blocking single process design.

Check DNS service speed. It is nearly always the reason folks complain
about slow Squid performance.

Check the cachemgr info page:

client mgr:info

Look at the service times on that page and see what you see.

You should also confirm that there are no network problems on the server
itself. Use lynx or whatever browser you have handy to browse around
some from the cache server itself. If it is slow, then you have network
problems to solve, not Squid problems.

Finally, make sure you aren't going into swap with your Squid. If you
don't have enough memory on the machine, Squid will be forced into swap,
which slows it significantly.