[squid-users] Why does WinXP send "OPTIONS"?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:12:01 -0500

Hello.

We have Squid 2.4S7 running on a Linux box with a diverse set of client
types. The single WinXP(SP1) machine, running IE v6.0(SP1), is causing
many instances of this type of log entry:

Sun Oct 13 14:17:40 2002.419 75 192.168.0.3 TCP_MISS/503 1106 OPTIONS
http://helios/ - NONE/- -

This is not seen with Win98 or Win2K clients, though they are using the
same version of IE as the WinXP box. Nor have I seen this with Mozilla
on Win98 and Win2K machines. I have to assume that this behavior is some
aspect of the WinXP networking rather than purely a browser issue.

I need a little education on this. Specifically:

1. What is the OPTIONS request used for?

2. Am I seeing a problem that needs to be addressed?

3. Can/should I be providing WinXP with more that just the proxy's URL in
"Internet Properties"?

I'm not seeing any functional problems in Squid's behavior as a proxy used
by this WinXP box. I'm just a little concerned because I havent seen
this before.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.