[squid-users] Newbie - Resolve hostname to private IP

From: Mark Unwin <munwin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:41:00 +1100

Have just installed Mandrake 9, including Squid. Squid clients can browse
the web, but can't get to our private (behind our firewall - Non DNS) web
server.

Thought it might have been as simple as putting the IP + Hostname in
/etc/hosts, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I CAN browse to the internal web server from the KDE machine. I can ping it
too (using the hostname). Just can't get to it from the other clients using
Squid. I can get to this server using it's IP.

Client is using Win2k Pro, IE6. If I tick the 'Bypass proxy server for local
addresses' it works. Can I get around this (without ticking this option) ?

Error follows -

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://boris/default.asp

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for boris
The dnsserver returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

Thanks
Mark...

Disclaimer
This message contains priviledged and confidential information intended for
the use of the addressee named above.
notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take and action or place any
reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please notify
Bananacoast Credit Union immediately.
Bananacoast Community Credit Union Ltd.