[squid-users] accessing ftp server with non anonymous account

From: Delia Micu <djmicu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:16:33 -0800 (PST)

I've been trying to figure this out for a few day now,
and maybe what I'm trying to do is no 'correct'.
Please, please help me out.

I am testing a Java class which creates a URLConnection
object to a file on an HTTP or FTP server. The Java
class also sets the proxy info if available. The Squid
proxy gets the HTTP reguest from the Java class, and
forwards it to the FTP server (in the case where a
ftp://.... is used for the URL), but it always tries to
do anonymous login to the FTP server, even through I
send it a usename and password for the FTP server
authentication.

If I use Mozilla (with the Proxy set to use Squid) and
then enter the url
ftp://me:me@myFtpServerIP/filename.xml Squid passes the
info somehow to the FTP server, which correctly
authenticates the account (account 'me' in this case)
and gets the files displayed in the browser.

I read many messages, one which was saying that it
would not be safe to do non-anonymous FTP through
Squid, because of security. If this is the case, what
I'm trying to do might be something that is never done
by others. My goal is to have this Java program inside
a 'firewall' and do FTP and HTTP outside of the
firewall. I was under the impression that big
corporations would have a 'proxy/firewall' that would
take HTTP requests for both HTTP and FTP protocols.
Can anybody please help me in any way?

Thank you so much!!

Delia