[squid-users] FTP problem - its mysterious!

From: Mrvka Andreas <mrv@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:42:01 +0100

hi squid - users!

i have a mysterious problem and i hope that you can help me.

first of all, i work in a company with a microsoft infrastructur :o(
but we want to establish linux and so we installed squid :o)

we now have win2k PDC and an intranet-dns-service.

i traced the way of a normal user on a normal pc; to get into the internet.

HTTP is working fine.
client -> asks DNS (intern) -> forwards to DNS (internet) -> response to client ->
-> but the client asks our proxy /squid -> the proxy is allowed to surf ->
-> html page is sent to client.

FTP is NOT working! (why?)
client -> asks DNS (intern) -> forwards to DNS (internet) -> response to client ->
- but the client TRIES TO GO DIRECT to internet !!!! this is not allowed.

it seems that the client does ignore our proxy setting completely.

and when i disable the forward-dns-request to internet, the client is asking the
proxy successfully, because he got no dns response from DNS (intern).

BUT our DNS (intern) is wirting lots of error messages for missretrieving error
dns requests from any client into event log.

i don't know what to do now.

my last chance:
take a blank pc for no purpose.
install a DNS service with no dns information. forward DNS (intern) to this new service
so that our DNS (intern) doesn't write errors but sends the client back, that he has no
information, so the client have to use our proxy settings again.

do you agree?
any other solutions??

!!! THIS MUST BE A MICROSOFT PROBLEM !!!

*now i feel better :o)

thx
Andreas

MRVKA Andreas