Re: [squid-users] FTP problem - its mysterious!

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:52:13 +0100

Mrvka Andreas wrote:

> hi squid - users!
>
> i have a mysterious problem and i hope that you can help me.
>
> first of all, i work in a company with a microsoft infrastructur :o(

 Do not use the words ,microsoft and infrastructure in one sentence,
 it makes me think off my mother in law.

> but we want to establish linux and so we installed squid :o)
>
> we now have win2k PDC and an intranet-dns-service.
>
> i traced the way of a normal user on a normal pc; to get into the internet.
>
> HTTP is working fine.
> client -> asks DNS (intern) -> forwards to DNS (internet) -> response to client ->
> -> but the client asks our proxy /squid -> the proxy is allowed to surf ->
> -> html page is sent to client.
>
> FTP is NOT working! (why?)
> client -> asks DNS (intern) -> forwards to DNS (internet) -> response to client ->
> - but the client TRIES TO GO DIRECT to internet !!!! this is not allowed.

 Note that SQUID can not be used as a generic ftp proxy.
 Ftp 'works' for ftp url's being used in browsers only.

 M.

> it seems that the client does ignore our proxy setting completely.
>
> and when i disable the forward-dns-request to internet, the client is asking the
> proxy successfully, because he got no dns response from DNS (intern).
>
> BUT our DNS (intern) is wirting lots of error messages for missretrieving error
> dns requests from any client into event log.
>
> i don't know what to do now.
>
> my last chance:
> take a blank pc for no purpose.
> install a DNS service with no dns information. forward DNS (intern) to this new service
> so that our DNS (intern) doesn't write errors but sends the client back, that he has no
> information, so the client have to use our proxy settings again.
>
> do you agree?
> any other solutions??
>
> !!! THIS MUST BE A MICROSOFT PROBLEM !!!
>
> *now i feel better :o)
>
> thx
> Andreas

> MRVKA Andreas
> TÜV Österreich
> Zentrale EDV
> A-1015 Wien 1, Krugerstraße 16 email: mrv@tuev.or.at
> Österreich web: http://www.tuev.at

 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM
 (M.E. Mar 2002)