Re: [squid-users] Need Help here

From: Gerard Eviston <geviston@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:33:24 +1000

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:06, Wong, Sherman wrote:
> I have read enough discussion regarding the authentication.
> But I could not find answer to my question.
>
> Pls correct me if I am wrong. Is the authentication method
> basic, smb, ntlm, digest are really for authenticating users
> TO THE SQUID server so that they are able to use the cache??
>
> If they are, I think I have one big missing piece of the puzzle that
> what does that play to authenticate users to the DESTINATION web
> server.

HTTP allows for a client to authenticate to a proxy server and a web server in
the same request (using seperate headers). Basic, NTLM and Digest can be used
for proxy authentication and web server authentication. The catch is that
NTLM can't be used through a proxy server because it cannot cope with a
decoupled client-server connection. Any other combination should work.

> I have mission critical server located at overseas offices that needs to be
> authenticated. But the IIS won't let users in while the squid is in the
> middle and
> I heard about ntlm could solve the problem but I could not get the ntlm
> working.

If you enable basic authentication on the web server then everything should be
OK.

Hope this helps
Gerard