RE: [squid-users] Procedure for changing cache size

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:33:45 -0600

> I started to reply to Marc's message with a rider that his answer only
> applied if you change the size parameter when you asked the question I
> was about to answer. :-)

I'm just trying to keep things in the proper order. :)

I ran some calculations and changing the number of directories wasn't
going to be a _big_ issue. (Actually, I found that I had miscalculated
last time, and the number of directories would be [more] correct
with the new cache size, so I didn't change it. <end_of_rationalization>)

> In addition if you configure a significant decrease squid will
> definitely thrash around for a while expiring stuff until it gets back
> below your low water mark (see cache_swap_low in squid.conf.)

Yes, I was a bit worried when I saw the first couple of errors pop up
in cache.log, but then I saw that the number was being reduced and
realized what was going on.

Thanks for the response!

Rick