RE: [squid-users] Procedure for changing cache size

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:58:15 +1100

I started to reply to Marc's message with a rider that his answer only
applied if you change the size parameter when you asked the question I
was about to answer. :-)

In addition if you configure a significant decrease squid will
definitely thrash around for a while expiring stuff until it gets back
below your low water mark (see cache_swap_low in squid.conf.) Best to
avoid doing this when users are active as performance will suffer.

If you decrease the directory level numbers I don't know exactly what
happens. I would suggest that stopping squid and deleting swap.state
and the "surplus" directories might be the best approach in that case.
Maybe you should try an experiment on a test cache. I might see what
happens on mine later today if Murphy stays at home. :-)

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680

NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.