RE: [squid-users] Suggestions about content filtering programs...

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:13:06 -0600

Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> I am looking towards a solution for implementing Content-Filtering
> to my squid proxy.

What is your definition of "Content-Filtering"? Do you want to filter
based on words (content) within an html page? Or are you looking to
filter based on the url of the page?

> I actually browsed through the archives and found a couple of names.
> I'd like you all to give me some feedback on which one could better
> be implemented, administered and why do you use that particular one!

You need to tell us more about what it is that you are wanting to
accomplish. The only recommendation that I could give at this point
is to visit the web page for each product and read about the
capabilities and applications.

> I'm undecided between:
>
> JunkBuster (seems to me rather a banner-blocking software)
> SquidGuard (is actually the first choice I would follow, because of
> it's GPL licensing and it's super-configurability. One thing that
> leaves a doubt in me is the fact that it resembles very much squid's
> own ACLs, so please explain me the effective potential of this
> software!)

The following is from <http://www.squidguard.org/intro/>:

squidGuard is a combined filter, redirector and access controller
plugin for Squid. squidGuard can be used to:
- limit the web access for some users to a list of accepted/well known
web servers and/or URLs only.
- block access to some listed or blacklisted web servers and/or URLs
for some users.
- block access to URLs matching a list of regular expressions or words
for some users.
- enforce the use of domainnames/prohibit the use of IP address in URLs.
- redirect blocked URLs to an "intelligent" CGI based info page.
- redirect unregistered user to a registration form.
- redirect popular downloads like Netscape, MSIE etc. to local copies.
- redirect banners to an empty GIF.
- have different access rules based on time of day, day of the week,
date etc.
- have different rules for different user groups.
and much more..

Neither squidGuard nor Squid can be used to:
- filter/censor/edit text inside documents
- filter/censor/edit embeded scripting languages like JavaScript or
VBscript inside HTML

(You might want to visit <http://www.squidguard.org/intro/> and read
the rest of the page.)

Rick Matthews