Re: [squid-users] different NTLM helpers

From: Илья Шипицин <ilia@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:41:10 +0500 (YEKT)

> > as described in FAQ, winbind helper can be used in both Basic and NTLM
> > proxy-auth. it is also stated that Winbind itself doesn't operate well
> > with samba. on the other hand, there's another helpers which supposed to
> > understand NTLM. SMB, for instance.
>
> Note: winbind is currently the most stable and efficient Windows NT
> domain integration you can get for Squid, but the setup is probably also
> the most complex..

Ok, let us consider winbind.

1) does it work against samba/PDC ? samba is 2.2.7

2) does it work against samba on FreeBSD ? I'm not sure about 2.2.7, but
earlier versions of samba do support winbind, but under FreeBSD that
support is broken.

3) it is said in FAQ, that in such case, machine should join the domain.
what if squid is running on the same host as PDC ?? I tried to run wbinfo
-t, it gave me an error. I've no clue. On one hand there's no need for PDC
to join the domain, on the other hand it seems not to work.

yes, I recompiled samba with "winbind" and "winbind-auth-challenge".
I still have no idea whether it has any effect under FreeBSD or not.

I also recompiled squid to support both winbind basic and ntlm helpers.

Cheers!
Ilia Chipitsine