Re: [squid-users] different NTLM helpers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 01:13:09 +0100

Илья Шипицин wrote:

> 1) does it work against samba/PDC ? samba is 2.2.7

Yes, it should.

> 2) does it work against samba on FreeBSD ? I'm not sure about 2.2.7, but
> earlier versions of samba do support winbind, but under FreeBSD that
> support is broken.

The winbind support needed by Squid should work on FreeBSD from what I
understand.

Note that you do not need the OS integration of winbind, only the
ability to run the winbinnd daemon and to query it using wbinfo or
another direct winbind client such as the Squid helpers..

> 3) it is said in FAQ, that in such case, machine should join the domain.
> what if squid is running on the same host as PDC ?? I tried to run wbinfo
> -t, it gave me an error. I've no clue. On one hand there's no need for PDC
> to join the domain, on the other hand it seems not to work.
>
> yes, I recompiled samba with "winbind" and "winbind-auth-challenge".
> I still have no idea whether it has any effect under FreeBSD or not.

Is the winbindd daemon running?

> I also recompiled squid to support both winbind basic and ntlm helpers.

Be sure to read the Squid FAQ carefully if using Samba 2.2.7.. you need
to copy some files from Samba to make the helpers work proper with the
winbind daemon from Samba 2.2.7.