Re: [squid-users] squid cluster

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:12:35 +0100

Antonio Paulo Salgado Forster wrote:

> The browser will not know the proxy server has changed, and will (I guess)
> send the HTTP request with the auth information to the new proxy.. Will the
> new proxy accept it or ask again for authentication?

Basic HTTP authentication is stateless per HTTP request and will work
just fine.

Digest HTTP authentication will need to renegotiate a new nounce known
to the new proxy each time the proxy changes. For digest authentication
to work your load balancing scheme needs to keep sending the user to the
same proxy for longer periods of time. Continously switching proxy
server will cause problems for Digest authentication as the nounce then
needs to be continously renegotiated.

NTLM authentication occurs per TCP connection so there is no problems
there.