Re: [squid-users] Http1.0/1.1 issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:48:08 +0100

Squid is HTTP/1.0 and does not understand how to process chunked
transfer encoding as this uses a different message format compared to
HTTP/1.0.

What you need to fix is this broken application who responds with
chunked transfer encoding in response to a HTTP/1.0 request.

Hacking Squid to respond as if it was HTTP/1.1 will only make the
problem significantly worse as this will lead the browsers to beleive
Squid is HTTP/1.1 capable and they will start sending chunked transfer
encoding to Squid as well when posting forms etc..

And yes. In the long run Squid should become HTTP/1.1 capable, but we
are not there yet as a fair amount of work remains. A good reason to
support the developers to help HTTP/1.1 support in Squid to become a
reality and not only a dream.

A HTTP/1.1 client who receives a chunked transfer encoding as a HTTP/1.0
reply MAY (or perhaps even SHOULD) try to decode the chunked data by the
"be strict about what you send, liberal about what you accept" policy of
Internet protocols. It is only servers who MUST NOT send chunked
transfer encoded replies in response to HTTP/1.0 requests as the reply
path most certainly is not capable of understanding chunked encoding
correcly in such case.