[squid-users] Sending requests with Client's IP address rather than Squid IP address

From: Mitesh P Choksi <mitesh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:09:07 +0300

I have been going through the lists and archives and lots of other documents
on the net on using Squid and sending out the requests that come out if Squid
with Client's IP. This means that when the packet is travelling on the web it
is having the source IP as client's IP rathar then the squid's IP address. All
docs point that this is an almost impossible task.

There are two advantages that appeals me to have Squid send out packets with
Client's IP.
1. On a high speed local network with slow speed internet connection, Squid
can be located before the QoS device so that client can get full bandwidth
response to cached data where as any Direct requests can be bandwidth
controlled by QoS device. Will work great for many users in Africa, where
Fiber Internet connectivity is a dream.
2. Tracing hacks initiated by clients can be pinpointed since the source IP is
always the Client's IP.

I would like to ask the community to comment on my ideas if possible. I
believe that this functionality is necessary to get Squid replace NetCache and
CacheFlow boxes.

Regards,

Cyberdude Murli
The Earth