Re: [squid-users] Squid authentication thru W2K domain server

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 14 Dec 2002 06:47:00 +1100

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 23:59, Evelio wrote:

> 1)I have upgraded to Squid Cache: Version 2.4.STABLE6
> I have included these lines on squid.conf for testing purpose
>
> authenticate_program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /squid/usuarios
> acl clave proxy_auth REQUIRED
> http_access allow clave
>
> It works OK, as expected but I have this message in cache.log
>
> proxy_auth clave not applicable on accelerated requests
>
> Is this normal?

No. You are either running a www server accelerator and need to
recompile squid to enable authentication, or you are running in
interception (aka transparent) mode and CANNOT use authentication.

Oh, and you should use
http_access deny !clave

for most flexible results.

> 2) NTLM and Samba authentication are synonyms?

No. See the Squid FAQ for this.

> 3) Is it possible to use LDAP authentication against W2K server? It has
> Active Directory working.

Yes, see the LDAP helper.

> 4) If so, Which of both is easier to install/configure Samba or LDAP ?

LDAP will be simpler, but will cause the user to see a pop password
dialog. NTLM will not show anything to the user and will 'just work' -
once you've set it up.

Rob