Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.4Stable6 and no-cache/cache-control

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:53:23 +0100

Stefan.Wiederoder@kaufland.de wrote:

> However, Squid (we use 2.4s6) does support both HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 ?

Squid is HTTP/1.0, but also understands most Cache-Control directives
from HTTP/1.1.

> I do not need to configure an explicit statement in the squid.conf to
> activate
> no-cache / cache-control - or do I ???

No.

> some webpages say that no-cache is only for request-headers, not for
> response-headers.

The official method in HTTP/1.0 to mark a reply as uncacheable is to use
Expires: <same as Date> (or earlier), but most implementations including
Squid also understands "Pragma: no-cache" in reply headers.

> So is it the best solution to use HTTP 1.1 and cache-control ?

Best solution is to use Cache-Control as outlined in the HTTP/1.1
specification, including how to interoperate with HTTP/1.0. The protocol
level of the reply does not really matter when defining the meaning of
the headers, but your reply needs to include headers compatible with
both HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 clients. See RFC2616.