[squid-users] question on caching objects and cache storage

From: <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:04:49 -0600 (CST)

Hello - first off I apologize if this has been asked before, I skimmed
through the FAQ and did several searches of the archives before joining the
list without luck. I've been using Squid for a couple years and recently
upgraded to the latest version, I've been very very pleased with Squid and
have implemented several add-ons including SquidGuard, some
monitoring/statistics tools, and some custom stuff of my own, with very good
success as well. Thumbs up to the Squid developer community!

So anyway, to my questions. I have read some of the sections in the FAQ
about why some things are not cached by Squid, and some of it I was confused
about. (maybe over my head!) I was trying to get Squid to cache everything
and found the no_cache and ACL entry in squid.conf to prevent it from
caching anything with cgi-bin and ? in it. I commented this out because I
needed to examine cache objects that were being downloaded from a URL with
cgi-bin in it. (had a user who had subscribed to easynews.com and was
spending his day downloading hundreds of megs of data in nicely compressed
zip and the manager needed to know the content.. but i digress). So, while
that seemed to have worked (and increasing the max size of cache) I've found
many pages still do not cache and after reading that section in the FAQ I am
un-sure if the cgi-bin and ? lines had anything to do with other objects not
caching. This also leads me to the next question - the only way I know of
to find a specific object in cache (be it an image, html or whatever) is by
seeing it being saved in real-time using the Squid cache-manager cgi
interface. (file descriptors) Other than that I haven't figured out how to
correlate the the object i want to find listed in access.log/store.log with
the physical location in the cache directory.

Cliff Notes: can I tell squid to cache EVERYTHING, no matter what the
object is, and is there an easier way to find an object listed in the
access.log in the cache directories?

thanks for your patience with this newbie :)
Ben