Re: [squid-users] question on caching objects and cache storage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 02:25:46 +0100

squid@professorfrink.com wrote:

> Cliff Notes: can I tell squid to cache EVERYTHING, no matter what the
> object is, and is there an easier way to find an object listed in the
> access.log in the cache directories?

No. You cannot tell Squid to cache what the origin server has told Squid
it MUST NOT cache.

There is some hacks you can apply in refresh_pattern to override some
aspects of what the origin server says, but not all.

Squid cares very little about what the URL looks like. What matters most
is the HTTP headers.

The by default recommended no_cache is only a safeguard, not a
requirement. Eventually this will go away as it it redundant with
refresh_pattern calculation of the min age.