Re: [squid-users] Squid bug / feature??

From: <squidcache@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:35:19 +0100 (CET)

Is this a 'feature' that was disabled in a later stage then?

I am running a RedHat box and unfortunately RedHat still comes with the
2.4 branch releases.

This particular behaviour of squid is very undesirable for anyone who
wants to do some sort of web filtering at their site.

Remco

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Marc Elsen wrote:
> I am not on the same frequency as you on this one.
>
> My squid (2.5S1) shows the 'normalized' url in the logs :
>
> hollandinternational.nl
>
> Meaning that my blocker (squidguard) can not be circumvented using
> such syntaxes.
>
> M.
>
> squidcache@barendse.to wrote:
> >
> > I am using squid as our web proxy and use a filtering proxy after squid to
> > enforce control over the website my users can visit.
> >
> > I noticed something really weird in my logfiles where a user was accessing
> > a webiste using a double dot extension.
> >
> > The user has done this by accident by apparently squid is automagically
> > correcting the broken url.
> >
> > This is wat the log shows:
> > 2003.1.3 12:54:56 10.1.2.233 http://www.hollandinternational..nl GET 5407
> > 2003.1.3 12:54:56 10.1.2.233 http://www.hollandinternational..nl/css/txt.css GET 5598
> > Notice the ..nl!!
> >
> > I have tried this myself (client using Win98 / IE6) and was able to browse
> > url's like www.google....nl
> >
> > This is very undesirable because my filtering proxy filters out some
> > websites deemed inappropriate for our site but these invalid domain names
> > are not in the blacklist and are therefore happily passed on to the user.
> >
> > It would be very impractical to include every possible dot combination in
> > our blacklists.
> >
> > Is this a bug or feature of squid that can be disabled? I have tried this
> > on squid squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.7.3 and squid-2.4.STABLE7-4 with same
> > results.

believed to be clean.