Re: [squid-users] ftp "put" not working in Squid/2.4.STABLE7?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:40:13 +0100

Brendan Macmillan wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the further explanation - this seems to explain why the
> ftp username and password seem to need to be in the URL itself
> (I believe that the ftp client is supposed to prompt you for the password
> if you omit it - but instead I'm just getting a error message returned
> from squid.)

Squid asks the client to authenticate if you include a username but omit
the password. However, again implementation varies from browser to
browser, some browsers understanding that HTTP authentication makes
sense for ftp:// URLs when talking to a HTTP proxy, some don't..

> BTW: I've also found that "curl" does ftp "put" correctly via Squid proxy

Most "command line / libraries" does.. and I would not at all be
surpriced if the communications library used in Mozilla also does and
all that is missing is the small glue to make it usable from the GUI..