Re: [squid-users] Does squid use UDP or TCP for it's DNS requests

From: Jason M. Kusar <jason@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:36:51 -0500

Yes, but how do you define a "larger DNS request" That is really just a
zone transfer. A DNS request is a request for a single resolution. A
request for a block of IP's or names or anything else is a full or partial
zone transfer.

In general, it is best to open both TCP and UDP port 53 to your DNS servers,
but I have gotten away with only using UDP on servers that are only serving
queries and are not authoritative for any domains.

--Jason