Re: [squid-users] Hardware requirements

From: Chad Whitten <cwhitten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:42:45 -0600

im doing transparent proxy for about 400 concurrent connections on a box with
a 1 gigahertz p3, 2 gig of ram and 2 36 gig u160 scsi drives in raid0 for
cache (9 gig scsi for operating system). running linux kernel 2.4.19 and
iptables, redirecting from cisco router using wccp. machine works fine.
processor utilization is next to nothing but the ram usage is high. i am
planning to upgrade to 4 gig soon.

make sure you get alot of ram, and good fast disks for the cacheing (scsi
good, ide bad). dont add a second proc because it wont help out at all
unless you run two squid instances.

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator